Side to side twist yoga asana for full body detox
Yoga has immense benefits if done correctly. Many people consider yoga poses difficult to do and hence don’t try them. However, not all yoga poses need you to be flexible or make you do serpentine movements. A side-to-side twist yoga asana is one such yoga pose that is so simple and easy to do but comes with tons of benefits.
Health Shots spoke to Divya Rolla, Yoga and Meditation Lead, Cultfit, who rolled out 5 superb benefits of doing this easy yoga pose.
“Side-to-side twists are my personal go-to asanas, and I make it a point to include them in every yoga class I conduct. I rarely do a class which does not incorporate twists in them,” says Rolla.
Here are 5 benefits of this yoga asana:
- Side-to-side twists increase the spinal mobility as the movement helps in creating space between the vertebrae and releases compression and also lubricates the spine. This in turn reduces episodes of back pain that so many of us experience.
- Also by incorporating twists regularly in our practice, the body’s digestion function gets a boost as twists help in the Gastrointestinal tract movement.
- They increase the blood flow to all organs in the abdominal and pelvic cavity.
- The increased movement provides fresh oxygenated blood in your body and helps build your immunity stronger.
- Last but not the least, this yoga pose is done by laying down and is simple to do. Therefore, it helps relax the body and mind before sleep.
Rolla told HealthShots, “BKS Iyengar, in his book called ‘Light On Yoga‘, clearly mentions how side-to-side twists are detoxifying and extremely purifying for the body. This happens due to the squeeze and soak action that is performed during the asana movement.”
During the twists, our body’s organs that get involved to do this movement are compressed, which helps in pushing the old blood out from them. Hence, when we release the twist posture before doing the next twist, the fresh blood is allowed to flow into the organs. This simply helps in energizing and stimulating all the organs involved in the movement in the abdominal and pelvic cavity region.
Here’s how to do the side-to-side twist yoga asana:
- Lie down on a yoga mat.
- Interlock your hands above your head.
- Fold your legs from knees and twist the knees to touch the left side of the ground.
- Once you touch the left side, twist to the right side till the knees come in contact with the right side of the ground.
- Follow this routine for 2 minutes, then relax in the same position
Follow this Instagram reel to see how it is done correctly:
Rolla says, “While twists have all of these wonderful benefits, we should also know when to refrain from doing them. I suggest that one should avoid twists when they have an active spinal injury. Women who are pregnant or who are menstruating should also refrain from the asana.
So learn from a good teacher and twist away!”