World Diabetes Day: 3 hacks for diabetes management
The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 8.7 per cent of Indians between the ages of 20 and 70 have diabetes, making it a major problem in the country. A number of variables, including rapid urbanization, sedentary lifestyles, unhealthy diets, cigarette use, and rising life expectancy, are contributing to the rising prevalence of diabetes. In fact, obesity is also a major risk factor for developing diabetes. So how should the condition be managed? Well, it is time for you to follow some of the best biohacks for diabetes to keep blood sugar under control.
Biohacks to manage diabetes
Diabetes can be a major risk factor for cardiovascular diseases (including heart attacks and heart failure) which are the main cause of premature deaths in the country. In fact, people with type 2 diabetes who are diagnosed when they are young have a high risk of developing complications at a young age and have a greater likelihood of multiple complications within 15 years of diagnosis, according to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine. Therefore, it is obvious that controlling diabetes is crucial!
HealthShots spoke to Dr Aniket Mule, consultant internal medicine, Wockhardt Hospitals Mira Road, Mumbai, to find out the best ways to manage diabetes naturally.
Here are 3 biohacks that can help you manage your diabetes, according to Dr Mule:
1. Make healthy choices
If you have diabetes then it will be imperative for you to plan your lifestyle and diet accordingly. So, keep these tips in mind:
- Try to make healthy choices while eating at home or eating out, or at a party.
- If you are at a restaurant then eat on a smaller plate and avoid taking a second serving as portion control is key.
- Do not gorge on sweets or have unhealthy drinks like sodas, alcohol, or caffeine.
- Do not have sugar-laden food items even if your family members force you to do so.
- Try to avoid junk, oily and canned food at any cost as they can cause abnormal blood sugar levels.
- In case you tend to have low blood sugar levels then carry a bottle of juice with you. But, do not go overboard on it.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day.
- Consume low-calorie, low-sugar, low-trans fat, and low-saturated fat foods.
- Try to manage your weight by eating healthy.
Remember, diabetes is a progressive disease so you need to take utmost care of yourself.
2. Exercise is a big help!
To reduce insulin resistance. Regular physical activity will help to reduce the dosage of medication to keep your blood sugar in your target range. Do not do any strenuous activities without the knowledge of a fitness trainer. You can do activities such as swimming, cycling, yoga, gymming, or even pilates to manage your condition.
3. Follow a proper medication routine
Take your medication as suggested by the doctor. Do not skip your medication at all as doing so can land you in trouble. Keep your medications handy so that you don’t forget them. Stock up on your medication properly. If you are taking insulin then take the dosage properly. You need to buy a pill box and organize the medicines properly so that it is easy for you to take them. Make it a habit to take medication at the same time so that you don’t forget them.
It is typical to experience being overwhelmed while managing diabetes, but stick to these precautions over time. But by doing so, you’ll be able to better control your condition.