Approximately 42% of the American adult population is obese. That’s what the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says!
For years, people have been diligently trying one or the other medications and methods, looking for the perfect miracle solution for weight loss. And in this trend, a new medicine has been getting a lot of attention – yes, we are talking about Semaglutide – the drug most people use to treat type-2 diabetes is now a weight loss medication! Semalgutide is the latest anti-obesity medication that people (especially celebrities) are obsessed with. It all started the moment this medication was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in 2021.
Interesting, right? Keep on reading for more information.
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 1, 2022
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) October 2, 2022
Semaglutide For Weight Loss And Diabetes – What Is It, And What Does It Do?
Semaglutide is a medication belonging to the glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists (GLP-1 RAs) class. It works by mimicking the action of the GLP-1 hormone. This hormone is naturally released in the gut after eating. One of the most crucial roles of GLP-1 is to stimulate insulin production to lower blood sugar levels, making it one of the most trusted and effective possible ways of treating Type 2 diabetes for the past fifteen years.
However, it is not its contribution to treating diabetes that has gained increasing attention. Semalgutide has also shown the ability to promote significant results when it comes to weight loss. This weight loss is evident in terms of appearance. But did you know it also comes with a lot of other health benefits, including reduced risk of severe conditions like diabetes, cancer, and even heart disease?
How does it work?
Semaglutide works by interacting with certain parts of the brain that work towards regulating appetite and making you feel full. It is particularly meaningful for people who are overweight or obese.
Certain studies have demonstrated that, when used in balance with lifestyle changes, it can lead to substantial weight loss, with some participants losing up to 20% of their body weight.
However, there’s a catch.
The weight tends to be regained once you are off the medicine.
Ozempic, a drug approved to treat Type 2 diabetes, has become a hot weight-loss drug among celebrities, influencers and everyday people. Here's what to know about it. https://t.co/qoWDAzafGs
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) April 30, 2023
Popular Semaglutide injection Brands
It is the active ingredient in several brand medications, each with specific indications and dosing regimens. These variations cater to distinct medical needs, and understanding them is crucial.
- Ozempic: Ozempic is available in injection form and is FDA-approved for reducing blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes. It is also approved to help in reducing the risk of several cardiovascular risks and events in individuals, especially the ones with diabetes and heart disease. Ozempic offers a range of weekly doses, from 0.25 milligrams to 2 milligrams.
- Rybelsus: It comes in tablet form and is FDA-approved to lower blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes. Rybelsus is taken once daily and offers various doses ranging from 3 milligrams to 14 milligrams.
- Wegovy: It is available as an injection and is FDA-approved for use in adults and children over the age of 12 with obesity or the ones suffering from weight-related health issues, such as high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, or high blood pressure. Wegovy has to be taken weekly, with doses ranging from 0.25 milligrams to 2.4 milligrams.
Semglutide side effects
Common Semglutide Side Effects:
- Gastrointestinal Issues like diarrhea, constipation, and gassiness.
- Stomach Issues include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal discomfort.
Managing Semglutide Side Effects:
There are different ways to deal with the side effects that come with Semalglutide for weight loss. You can begin by going for a lower dose, and gradually increasing it can help reduce side effects. Adequate hydration and the use of medication for symptom control can help, too.
Serious Semglutide Semglutide Side-Effects:
It is crucial to be aware of potential serious adverse effects, too, including:
- Changes in Vision
- Low Blood Sugar
- Kidney Problems or Kidney Failure
- Serious Allergic Reactions like rash, itching, swelling of the face or throat, and difficulty breathing.
- Gallbladder Problems
When to Seek Medical Attention While Taking Semaglutide for Weight Loss:
If you’re on Semaglutide for weight loss and have been experiencing symptoms like severe abdominal pain, vision changes, dizziness, fainting, or other concerning issues, it is important to reach out to your healthcare provider for better guidance or seek emergency medical care in case of severe issues.