What if there is a natural dietary supplement that would naturally reduce the risk of heart disease, better your cognitive health, and provide several other health benefits?
Well, it sounds too good to be true, but let us tell you that it is actually possible.
Yes, we are talking about fish oil benefits, an affordable and widely available superstar supplement. Continue reading to know more about the benefits it offers.
What is Fish Oil?
Fish oil is an extract that comes from the tissues of fish like sardines, anchovies, tuna, salmon, and more. You can also get it from the liver of other fish, as in the case of cod liver oil. Its supplements are rich in omega-3 fatty acids – Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA).
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), one should prefer eating one or two portions of fish per week. That is because our body can’t produce these fatty acids from scratch. Therefore, we have to get it from the food we consume. And fish oil in fish is an excellent source of that.
However, if you are a vegan, a vegetarian, or don’t like eating fish in general, you can opt for fish oil supplements. These supplements, in fact, provide an adequate amount needed for daily consumption. Several plant sources, like Chia seeds, Brussels sprouts, etc., also provide a good amount of omega-3, but the ones found in fish oil offer greater benefits.
Fish Oil Benefits
Mental Health Ally
Omega-3 fatty acids make up to 60 percent of the brain, making them significantly important for brain function. And when the omega-3 levels are lower, mental health conditions start to occur.
That is why the inclusion of these fatty acids in a regular diet can help reduce the risk of mental health and psychotic disorders. It is even helpful for people with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, too.
And when fish oil is used in addition to the traditional treatments, it can also help manage depression. That is because of the anti-inflammatory properties of Omega-3 that help alleviate brain inflammation further linked to anxiety and depression, as per a 2018 review.
Fish oil provides notable support for heart health, addressing various cardiovascular concerns:
- Cholesterol Improvement: Fish oil has been shown to enhance cholesterol profiles by elevating HDL (good) cholesterol and potentially lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- Triglyceride Reduction: It can significantly reduce triglyceride levels, contributing to a 15-30% decrease in triglycerides.
- Blood Pressure Control: Even in small doses, fish oil helps lower blood pressure, especially in individuals with elevated levels.
Enhance Brain Health with Fish Oil
Fish oil, rich in omega-3 fatty acids, offers exceptional support for cognitive function and overall brain health:
- Cognitive Function Boost: Omega-3 fatty acids, particularly DHA, play an important role when it comes to cognitive function. And when the body lacks or has lesser amounts of these fatty acids, there is a greater risk of cognitive disorders, such as dementia and ADHD. Thus highlighting its importance.
- Protecting Brain and Nervous System: Some individuals with conditions like multiple sclerosis (MS) opt for omega-3 supplementation for protective effects and benefits on the brain as well as the nervous system.
Nurtures Bone Health
Fish oil, enriched with omega-3 fatty acids, shows potential in supporting bone health:
- Bone Mineral Density: Certain studies suggest that the mega-3 fatty acids’ anti-inflammatory properties may help prevent calcification and bone demineralization.
- Enhanced Bone Density: Research also indicates that DHA and EPA omega-3 supplements may improve spine bone mineral density in older individuals and reduce the risk of bone fractures, particularly in those with a higher genetic predisposition.
Make sure you consult your healthcare provider before making any dietary changes or adding a supplement to your daily diet. They will guide you about the right dosage according to your age and if fish oil is actually suitable for your body based on your health conditions.